Sunday, May 20, 2007

Those Nigerian Email Scams

Do you get those Nigerian email scams in your email box? I caught the tail end of a show on MSNBC about it. Now I didn't think that a lot of people actually sent in their money but I was wrong! Apparently this kind of scam has raked in millions of dollars! If you're not familiar with this kind of scam it goes like this:

You get an email from someone from another country saying that they have access to millions of dollars but they need your help in getting it. In return they promise to pay you a lot of money - somewhere in the 5 - 6 figure range (sometimes even higher!) Either you're supposed to send some "good faith" money or you are asked to send personal information like your bank account information. Even though just this much sounds suspicious many people have done it! Sometimes if you don't answer the email you'll get another one down the line saying that the money is ready for you but the representative hasn't been paid (by you). This payment that you're asked to make is supposedly suppose to be the representative's commission.

If you get this type of email - do you know what the experts say to do?

DELETE IT!

1 comment:

Rose said...

Here's a copy of one that I recently got in my email
----------------

My Dear friend

I regret any embarrassment that my letter might cause you, as we have not met before physically or through correspondence before this time.

My name is MRS. J~,wife of the immediate Liberian past Head of State, MR. C~. You must have heard over the media reports on our politicalasylum as a result of outright and cheap blackmail that led to loss of ower in Liberia. I got your contact in my search for a reliable and trustworthy partner, who I can do business with.

I would want to have good confidence in you as I have viewed your profile and found out that you are a good responsible personality.

I have no doubt about your capacity and goodwill to assist me in receiving in to your custody (FOR SAFETY) the sum of Twelve Million US Dollars(USD12M).This money is currently kept with a Security and finance Firm. The money was cleverly dodged and deposited with the help of our
family Lawyer.

Fortunately,our family lawyer had secretly protected this transaction from the notice of
the investigators and have strictly advised that the funds be urgently move to oversea of any trust worthy but ANNONYMOUS foreign family friend without delay for security reasons.

Our entire local and international business outfit is under serious surveillance by security agent. This money is our only hope tostay alive. My family has therefore agreed to compensate your good self with 20% of the total fund when you finally cleared the fund
from the security firm and lodge in your private account.

Is rest assured that every modality has been put in place for a smooth execution? Due to
current situation in our country, it has become quite impossible for us to travel to any part of the world. I am contacting you as a matter of urgency to help, represent my family in collecting
the funds on our behalf and assist in investing itfor us in a viable business in your country.

If you are interested in assisting me to protect my family's interest without having evil mind against or intension to take advantage of this,For obvious security reasons, it's
imperative that you keep all our communications very confidential.

Do not mention my family's name or disclose the transaction with any body.But if you are not interested in assisting me, still get in touch so that I can make an alternative arrangement as time is of essence. Please do not expose me.

I await your prompt response and also look forward to a mutually beneficial relationship.

For free conscience and better understanding within my family. Please reply only throgh my
private email: xxxxxxxx

Sincerely,

MRS. J~